Re: [Amps] Alpha 91b problem

To: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 91b problem
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:04:49 +0000
I have a defective Alpha 91 transformer in my junk pile.   WD8CCC’s amp started
blowing primary fuses probably 8 to 10 years ago now.  The problem was an
internal winding to winding short.   The transformer would make full AC voltage
on the HV secondary, until the HV rectifier board was connected.  I forget now,
it has been so long ago, which winding was shorted internally to the HV winding.

I had Ben order one from Alpha.  They were kind of condescending about it; they
did not believe it could be the problem.   Finally they sold him one (they had
a used one), while stressing they would accept a return when it didn’t fix the
problem.  I had the amp running already using an external HV winding.
Apparently at the time it was not a commonly known issue.  It was a new problem
to me, but I only occasionally repair amps for friends so don’t see as many
cases as folks who do this all the time.

Sorry to hear 91B transformer failures are becoming more common.  Ben’s amp is
still going strong.

73 Charlie N8RR