Re: [Amps] Alpha 91b problem

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 91b problem
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 19:29:58 -0600
The reason Hammond is the only source is that they purchased the PW
Dahl plans for ham transformers from Jeff K8CQ.  He bought the IP from
Dahl, not the rest of the business when Peter went SK.  For a time
Jeff took orders and had MagCap in Boston actually make and ship the
iron.  But after a few years of that he sold the Dahl IP to Hammond.
That's where we are today.

The old Ten Tec in Tennessee had a similar problem with the
transformer in their Centurion 3-500 amp.  They were making their own
transformers in house.  The windings would short out and I think they
knew about it but refused to admit any defectiveness to customers.  I
had one of those amps and went through two of their transformers
before I ordered the Dahl equivalent and never had a problem after
that.

Rob
K5UJ