Re: [Amps] Alpha 91b problem

To: amp <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 91b problem
From: Donald Fox via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 23:39:48 +0000 (UTC)
 Gents:
A motor rewind shop saved my bacon back in '09-'10. I had an ECA 1214 plate
xformer from a Henry 3K Classic Mark II, that was arcing on the outermost
winding to the frame/core. For $200, the cleaned and reinsulated that area,
then dipped/baked it. I was told they could rewind it if needed, for a
significantly higher cost of course. They aren't as plentiful as they used to
be, but it might be an option if you have one in your area.

Don N8ECH
     On Sunday, November 20, 2022, 05:10:38 PM EST, Ron W4BIN
<ka4inm@gmail.com> wrote:

   Terry  N6CW Baxter wrote:

> Another much cheaper alternative is to just use a separate bias or
> screen supply depending on which one has failed. However since my
> transformer has a 4.6k ohm short from the 105 V winding to the HV
> winding what would be the results of this short? Would floating the
> bad bias winding have an effect on the HV winding? Would the HV
> winding be compromised with this short? Someone out there would have
> the answer to that.

   I can't stop wondering if baking that transformer wouldn't dry out
that leakage,
it obviously isn't a copper to copper short.

--
    Ron  W4BIN - Understanding is much better than
                                      knowing how.MX