Re: [Antennaware] Small Tribander or SteppIR 2-element?

To: RLVZ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Small Tribander or SteppIR 2-element?
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:44:11 -0700
I created a model of a 2-el yagi on 20m with 6' spacing and the gain in
free space is 6.71 dBi (4.56 dBd).  F/B is 17 dB.  This is with the
parasitic element tuned as a director.  The feed Z is 22 ohms, which the
SteppIR transformer matches to 50 ohms.  The 2:1 bandwidth is about 240
kHz, but that's not an issue with the SteppIR, of course.  I assumed
0.35" diameter copper elements, which are only down 0.06 dB from
lossless conductors, so the efficiency is pretty good (98.6%).

Increasing the spacing to 12 feet gives max gain with a parasitic
reflector.  The gain is 6.82 dBi (4.67 dBd) but the F/B is only 6 dB.
Feed Z is 35 ohms (a good candidate for a hairpin match to 50 ohms) and
the 2:1 bandwidth is 410 kHz.  Using lossless elements increase the gain
by 0.05 dB, so the efficiency is 98.8%.

It appears the SteppIR 2-el is a good compromise on 20m for limited
space, other than cost.

73, Terry N6RY