[Antennaware] Small Tribander or SteppIR 2-element?

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] Small Tribander or SteppIR 2-element?
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:31:13 EDT
Hi Guys,

I had great results with a SteppIR 3-element up 60' when  the antenna
worked as designed.  Unfortunately, the Controller was bad  upon arrival, and
then an 80mph windstorm blew two fibreglass elements off the  antenna which
then allowed water into a Stepper motor and it went  bad!

Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment but I'm seriously  considering a
2-element SteppIR at a temporary QTH in the Midwest as the  3-element SteppIR
turning radius may not clear the trees.  Question: isn't  the short 6' boom on
the 2-element SteppIR too short for good  results on 20-meters?  I am not
familiar with using  modeling programs and don't have the time to learn so I'd
appreciate your  thoughts on this.

A 3-element tribander will work at this temporary site as it  has about the
same turning radius as a 2-element SteppIR... and a Tribander  like the
Hy-Gains TH3 might perform as well or even better better on 20-m.  (on the
portion of the band that it is tuned for) as it has a  little longer spacing
between driven element and the reflector.  Of  course the Tribander would be
alot cheaper too.

What's your thoughts on the efficiency of a 6' boom length for  a 2-element
20-m. yagi?

Thanks for your thoughts!

73,
Dick- K9OM