[Antennaware] Topband vertical matching.

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Topband vertical matching.
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:26:40 -0400

I'm with Gary on this one - and ON4UN.  Making inverted L and better yet
T-top loaded verticals too long will raise the maximum current off the
ground and reduce the current in the ground system - both good things.
My T-vertical here is resonant at 1.2 MHz and tuned out with an L
network that can be calculated with TLW software with just a few minutes
work.

The "too long" antenna can be built as Gary mentions with a simple
series capacitance, or for a better match an L network.  Mine components
are exposed to the weather - I see no reason to lower their Q by putting
them in a box.  They have been outdoors for five years and run at 1.5 KW
in the rain just fine.

Per Jay's article, a high pass arrangement is nice if you have severe
BCB interference - otherwise I would head the other way, to a longer
antenna.  Also, there are other ways to deal with BCB interference than
making the antenna otherwise too short.

Best 73
Hal N4GG