ANTENNA TOWERS AND REGULATIONS: HELP!

Subject: ANTENNA TOWERS AND REGULATIONS: HELP!
From: wb2dnd@pcix.com (wb2dnd@pcix.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 21:54:38 1995

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Ai7b@teleport.com wrote:
>       HELLO JOHN....SAME PROBLEMS HERE IN THE STATES...UNFORTUNATELY
>       THE ARRL SEEMS TO HAVE LITTLE INTEREST IN ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE.

I must take issue with that statement.  Two years ago I was ordered by my town
to not only remove my tower but cease operating as my alledged TVI was
interfering with my neighbor's peaceful enjoyment of his premises.

This was a major battle for about a year as my new neighbor (of 3 months) hired
the best attorney around (one that represents WALMARTS that go in where they
are
not wanted) and they sued the town under a vague by law provision.  My tower
was
not only a safety menace (no guy wires--forget the self supporting part) and a
blight on the neighborhood that lowered values.  Well, not to burn up
bandwidth...I won!  The Town board of Appeals decided it was not technically
qualified to rule on how tall a tower needed to be to propagate as well as the
interference issues and the reams of documents on PRB-1 was of major help in
representing my case.  How did I get all this info...the ARRL's Washington
office..in particular Chris Imlay, N3AKD, was always available to coach me.  I
represented myself (no I am not an attorney) and Chris read all my submissions
and made numerous suggestions.

I live in a small town and a large Ham contingent (mostly from surrounding
towns) came to the meeting in support and that also played a big part.  It was
group of hobbyists versus the mean suited Lawyer.  I think the people on the
board listened to the facts the league provided me with...not legal rheteric
spewed out by the opposing attorney who came in with all the cases where PRB-1
was thrown out--mostly where some guy put up a 200 foot tower with guy wires
across his neighbors' yards.

>       THE ARRL IS INDIFFERENT TO TWR/LAND USE ISSUES.  THEY WUD RATHER
>       PROMOTE QRP AND THE MERITS OF ATTIC ANTENNAS ALONG WITH THE
>       PUBLICATIONS BUSNIESS.

Did you call the league?  I think people are quick to say the league is a waste
but never try to use those resources...they just hire their own attorneys and
see who can piss the farthest.

> I BELIEVE US HAMS ARE UNDER GREAT PRESSURE IN THIS AREA AND ARE LOSING MORE
>BATTLES THAN THEY ARE WINNING. LONG TERM IT WILL FURTHER REDUCE OUR NUMBERS.
>THE ONLY REAL HOPE  I SEE IS IN THE POLITICAL ARENA WHERE THE WHOLE ISSUE OF
>PERSONL PROPERTY RIGHTS IS SLOWLY BEING ADDRESSED BY THE CONSERVATIVE
>MOVMENT HERE IN THE STATES.  UNFORTUNATELY, PROGRESS IS SLOWER THEN SUN SPOT
CYCLE!!

Well, the state of Massachusetts (one of the most liberal east of CA.) just
passed a tower bill that is a vote for PRB-1.  Glad I don't live in one of
those
conservative Western states....

>       THIS INTERNET MODE IS OK BUT IT WILL NEVER REPLACE WKING U ON 160!!!

Here we agree...

Don
-   Don Greenbaum                       -
-   wb2dnd@pcix.com                     -
-   Duxbury, MA  YCCC, FOC, SNEDXA      -
-   Visit the AURUM home page: http://www.pcix.com/aurum/