K5ZD CQWW CW Story (Long)

Subject: K5ZD CQWW CW Story (Long)
From: albraun@socketis.net (albraun@socketis.net)
Date: Wed Dec 4 13:25:52 1996
>Randy, why put all this on the contest reflector?  It really messed
>up my ISP email server and gave me lots of frustration just to
>download it.  IT IS TOO LONG!!  It caused many errors and was too
>lengthy.  I don't need to see your breakdown report.  Let those who
>want it request it. Also, your test was TOO LONG.  I just deleted it.

As a "little gun" I find it very interesting & educational to see
how the big guys do a contest.  I wish more of the top stations
would do posts like this.  Thanks Randy!

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *

>From baycock@HiWAAY.net (Bill Aycock)  Wed Dec  4 13:47:50 1996
>Randy, why put all this on the contest reflector?  It really messed up
>my ISP email server and gave me lots of frustration just to download it.
>IT IS TOO LONG!!  It caused many errors and was too lengthy.  I don't
>need to see your breakdown report.  Let those who want it request it.
>Also, your test was TOO LONG.  I just deleted it.
>
>Bill, N3RR

Bill- in all seriousness, you should see about getting connected to a real
ISP, or getting new software. From your description, it is hard to tell just
where your downloading problem is.

Your other problems are easier to see

bill

Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill  ---   Woodville, Alabama, USA
 ---  (in the N.E. corner of the State)
also-- W4BSG -- Grid EM64vr

From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith) (Pete Smith)
Subject: Drawing the Line

It's pretty clear that people already know how to design software that can
creditably operate an entire contest without human intervention.  DSP
techniques for doing this have been discussed in passing on this reflector,
and it's only a matter of time before somebody runs such software in a major
test, does really well, and THEN tells us that he was at the beach that
weekend.  Or maybe, at first, people will just use the DSP to help them copy
CW under difficult conditions - being able to look at a "who was that?"
window on the screen, for example, as an aid to more efficient pile-up
management.

I'd sure like to see an active discussion about where and whether to draw a
line in the sand, even though I suspect that a real decision will wait till
someone has gone "too far."  But what is "too far," anyhow?  All sailboat
racers agree that the wind must be the only source of propulsion in their
sport -- is there something analogous in radio contesting?  Some essential
element that, taken out of human control, changes the essence of the sport?

Does auto racing provide another angle to look at the issue?  Any number of
times, sanctioning bodies have changed the rules, or outlawed certain
innovations, because they tended to drive up the cost too far, and thereby
to diminish competition.  Even in the highest-cost class of all - Formula 1
- certain innovations, like active traction control, have been outlawed
because of their cost implications (and also, I suspect, because some people
felt that using a computer to replace human kinesthetic senses was getting
too close to taking the person out of the racing loop).  Sound familiar?

Food for thought?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
West (bigawd) Virginia

From: info@thecomshop.com (The Com Shop) (The Com Shop)
Subject: Test...please ignore

From: tomf@neca.com (Tom Francis) (Tom Francis)
Subject: Paper Logs/Computer Logs Summary (long)

Hello again:

Well, as promised, here's the summary
on the paper logs/computer logs survey.

There were 64 replies to this informal
survey - thanks to all!!  I'm not a
statistician (sp?), but I would think it's
a fairly representative sample of those
currently on the reflector.

The breakdown looks like this:

1 - How many reflectorites still use paper logs?

        Twelve individuals use paper logs when
        operating and nine transfer the information
        to some kind of Master Logging System (non-
        commercial plug for WJ2O intended, hi) post Q.
        The others use paper logs exclusively.

>2 - How many reflectorites use computers for just
>    logging?

        Twenty use the computer just for logging
        purposes - no bells and whistles.

>3 - How many reflectorites use computers for all
>    the goodies (keying, logging, band maps, rates,
>    post-contest critiques, radio-control, etc.)?

        Thirty-two use the computer to control their
        stations from soup to nuts (or logging to
        rotor control).

Some selected comments:

Tom Hammond - N0SS: "I do NOT use computers at all when
contesting, witness my poor showings in most contests.
But I view MY contesting as me against them, not ME
WINNING against them... it's a test of MY abilities."

Gary Nieborsky - K7FR: "I still log my day to day contacts
in my trusty ARRL logbook (yes, I still log everything).
Not worth the effort to fire up the computer just for a
ragchew. (EDIT) See #2 plus use it all during contests.
(EDIT) After all, a power outage in New England would
effectively nullify their advantage."

John Warren - NT5C: "If someone could easily and relatively
cheaply scan my 10-year 6000-QSO paper database (already
sorted by country) into MAC compatible format, I'd change to
computer logging in a flash!"

Steve Merchant - K6AW: "I have four computers and use all them
all the time.  If I could get one of them to pour me a glass of
wine, that'd be even better."

Mike Therrien - N1MD: "I use computers for everything, including
feeding the dog. However, experience has shown that often the
computers fail and the dog starves."

Don Moman - VE5JY: "put me as # 3 (recently) and enjoying the
challenge and benefits of the added technology!"

I really didn't know why I asked this question, but lurking
somewhere in the back of my mind was the idea that there were
several "levels" of operating techniques/technology that
impacted contest scores in some fashion.  This fit in with the
various threads on packet/internet, computers, two radios, etc.,
and I wanted to gain some in-depth understanding of part of the
controversy.

I have several thoughts now running around in my head concerning
technology, applications and the impact on contesting, but need
to think about this for a while before I start another flame
war, hi.  Sometime in the future, I'll ask some more questions
and eventually come up with the NM1Q Unified Field Theory of the
Impact of Technology on Radiosport, hi...

For my part, I normally use the computer only for logging, but
after operating at N1MD for CQ WW SSB/CW, that is going to
change big time - all automated, all the time, hi...

Thanks again to all who responded - it was a lot of fun and
very very interesting.

Happy Holidays to all - Peace.

73

Tom, NM1Q (tomf@neca.com)

From: slazar19@sgi.net (Spike Lazar) (Spike Lazar)

  From: NBC,CBS,ABC,CNN, MSNBC & BNS (Bafoofnik News Network)

  The poles have been open 30 seconds and judging from the
  exit votes dr. Bafoofnik predicts K5ZD will carry the
  reflector by a landslide. We are still awaiting N3RR's
  conceiting statement!

From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan) (John Brosnahan)

>  From: NBC,CBS,ABC,CNN, MSNBC & BNS (Bafoofnik News Network)

BNS?????? or is it BNN?  I get so confused by all of the alphabet soup.

>  conceiting statement!

I think you mean conceding statement but it is funnier your way (so you
must have meant it your way since you go for the funniest way!)

Didn't know Mrs. Malaprop had an OM and that he was licensed and internet savvy.

73 John  W0UN

BTW My vote is for ZD and my suggestion is that RR get a better isp, modem,
or mail reader.

From: k2uvg@nfds.net (Hank Kahrs) (Hank Kahrs)

At 04:35 AM 12/4/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Randy Thompson wrote:
>>
>>                     CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1996
>

>Randy, why put all this on the contest reflector?  It really messed up
>my ISP email server and gave me lots of frustration just to download it.
>IT IS TOO LONG!!  It caused many errors and was too lengthy.  I don't
>need to see your breakdown report.  Let those who want it request it.
>Also, your test was TOO LONG.  I just deleted it.
>
>Bill, N3RR

Randy,
Thanks for the REAL info on your test effort.  I for one:

1. Had no problem downloading the post
2. Enjoyed the post
3. Learned something from the post

Bill,
You might consider a new ISP!

73, Hank/K2UVG
k2uvg@nfds.net
http://www.nfds.net/~nkahrs/k2uvg.html

From: iadiahfd@netins.net (Larry Lindblom) (Larry Lindblom)
Subject: Paper Logging???

Back in the late 60's and early 70's I made several serious efforts in CQWW
and ARRL DX tests.  Efforts that paid off in a piece4 of wall paper. Of
course in those days it was paper logging.  I still remember a desk covered
with log, dupe and check sheets.  I remember those minutes spent digging
thru the scattered pages to find the correct sheet.  I remember digging thru
the garbage to find a log page that accidently fell in the waste paper can.
I also clearly remember the after the contest nightmare of getting the log
cleaned up before submitting it.

Now days my contest efforts are less serious or I spend my time at a M/S
station.  But, logging is a dream come true.  Type in the call punch a
button, check for a dupe, work it, log it, etc.  After the contest there
will be a little clean up work before submitting the log.  However, it is a
breese compaired to recopying the log by hand.

been there, done that, but in this case i don't want to do it again.