[CQ-Contest] Contest ears

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest ears
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Thu Mar 15 21:19:20 2001
<alt0btc0j13mlufsmn141t913hbamhfnd1@4ax.com>
Sender: owner-cq-contest@contesting.com

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 03:10:59AM -0500, Steve Maki wrote:
 > f2F845W16110
 > Sender: owner-cq-contest@contesting.com
 >

 > Tree N6TR <tree@kkn.net> wrote:
 >
 >  >You can hear the 4 second sound clip at
 >  >http://www.kkn.net/~tree/ratrat.wav.  You will hear RAT sent
 >  >followed by the echo off the moon.  I think it is best if you can
 >  >listen with headphones at a LOW volume.  It seems that the ear
 >  >has an easier time with it then.  You might also just want to listen
 >  >to the second half a few times to pick the echo out.
 >
 > Interesting. Sounds like RTT to me, with extra space
 > before the first T.
 >
 > If I play the file from just after the R, it sounds
 > like AT.

On a Windows machine I have access to, it breaks up a lot on playback.
There are gaps and stuff, and it's never the same twice.  On my Solaris
box at work, it's smooth and consistent.  I don't know if it has to do
with processing speed or what...

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops