[CQ-Contest] rumor confirmation

Subject: [CQ-Contest] rumor confirmation
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed Jan 9 13:02:01 2002
Yes, it appears that the Board of Directors like any Board is trying to save
money and cutting down the size of QST and hence its production cost IS ON
THE TABLE.

So, what can you do?  It is your responsibility as a member who has
democratically elected a representative to represent you to use that
representative.  I mean contact him!

Rather than just send him a "me too" posting, I think the contest community
which is composed of a lot of savvy types ought to offer some alternate
suggestions as to ways the ARRL can save money other than axing what is near
and dear to us.  Another ham sat down and went through his last QST and sent
his director a list of the articles and how he felt about the relative value
of each to him.

Your ARRL Director is listed on page 10 of your QST, think up something in
the way of a cost cutting measure that you feel is a possible alternate to
the loss of contest coverage and let him take that to the board meeting
table with him.

Directors are political animals, elected by hams who vote - if you voted in
the last election for your Director let him know you do vote and your
decision is based on your interests in the hobby!  If you did not vote be
ready to next time the Director slot opens up!

As a group of intelligent hams I hope we can come up with some alternatives
for the Directors to consider...lets all put our heads together on this one.
As an active operator you are without doubt an asset your organization can
use!

Lets brainstorm!

Here is a thought...this weekend's NAQP activity, while sponsored by NCJ and
not QST per se, is an ARRL event - as a sign of solidarity mebbe we should
all show our anger at the possibility of QST deleting full contest coverage
by signing the same name..the total number of hams doing so would be a nice
indicator of an active community within our hobby.

Just a thought!  On a serious note think about cost cutting measures your
business may have used that your Director can offer up.

73,

Jim White, K4OJ

Founder: Florida Contest Group - where operating ability is something we
take pride in.