[CQ-Contest] rumor confirmation

Subject: [CQ-Contest] rumor confirmation
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Jan 9 13:41:44 2002
At 01:02 PM 1/9/02 -0800, Jim White, K4OJ wrote:
I think the contest community
>which is composed of a lot of savvy types ought to offer some alternate
>suggestions as to ways the ARRL can save money other than axing what is near
>and dear to us.

I sort of agree.  However, this is the same Board that directed the editor
of QST to go to color on every page just last year, if I recall correctly.
That can't have been cheap.

It would be fine to try to suggest ways to save money other than cutting
contest results, but realistically, how many of us have the information to
make useful proposals?  In the 2000 Annual Report, Dave Sumner said that
"2000 revenues outpaced our original projections and exceeded the year
1999."  Go looking for the financial statement, and you find no fine detail
at all.  I did note, however, that publications broke almost exactly even,
without any allocation of money from membership dues (at least nothing
visible in the report).

My bottom line -- make sure they understand the negative consequences of
cuts in this area, and THEN, if you can, help them with ideas that point
elsewhere.

73, Pete N4ZR

The revised World Contest
Station Database