[CQ-Contest] Re: [FOC] What has happened to our hobby?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [FOC] What has happened to our hobby?
From: kayser@sympatico.ca (Larry Kayser)
Date: Wed Jan 9 22:37:02 2002
Jim:

>Fostering international goodwill and aiding in time of emergency are done by
>those who operate hf - those who operate hf well are often contesters and
>DXers...

I suggest to you that the League is in a survival mode, they will be around
long after you and I are gone, they are and will adapt to the times as
needed.  If they do not adapt, then they and our hobby will not be around
any more.  Our hobby is changing fast, faster than many of us are
comfortable with, I have grave concerns of the spectrum left for us to use,
for the noise garbage that our Regulatory authorities are allowing to raise
the noise floor, for the consumer stuff that causes mobile pollution and
many other things.  Contesting and DXing is a pretty small subject in the
light of everything else that is going on, I think you have seriously
overstated the case.

I take some umbrage at your assertion above, Contesters will be a little
more modern and legit for a start in my opinion when Contests consume as
much of the bands on Monday to Thursdays as they do late Fridays,
Saturdays, and Sundays.  Contesting to be relevant needs to innovate and
adapt, I do not see that this has happened over the last 45 years.

I find it a huge stretch to see the relevance of your rant to the issues of
the day.

161

Larry
VA3LK