[CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither.
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri Jul 19 09:22:31 2002
At 11:45 PM 7/18/02 -0400, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
>They can be replaced. When that particular chairman is gone, we will
>still be here, sending code. Sounds like he doesn't have enough work
>to do.
>
>It's kinda like them telling an old car collector to get his '60
>Thunderbird off the road.
>
>PSK31 is growing leaps and bounds, all by itself, no help needed from
>the FCC, and CW will remain an art form for a long time.
>
>Voice, anything narrower than SSB around? WHAT new voice mode?

The only trouble is that there are only 5 Commissioners, who could decide
to change a lot of things we find important (like abolishing CW
subbands).  If this proves to be a true report, then we also have to assume
that the people responsible for advising them on ham matters fed them this
misinformation, and there could be more on the way.

  If (again) it's true, I suggest that hams write to the Chairman (copying
the other commissioners), in a calm and respectful manner, pointing out the
continued utility of CW for hams, its spectrum-conserving properties, and
urge him to continue to support this mode.  Myself, I would point out the
international good-will aspect of amateur radio's statutory purpose, and
ask whether it makes sense for the FCC to move in directions that would
tend to lessen access of amateurs in lesser-developed countries.

The bottom line, to me, is that it doesn't have to be either-or -- CW can
remain, just like sailboats in an age of jet aircraft...

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org