[CQ-Contest] SIGNING PORTABLE IN ARRL DX CONTEST

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SIGNING PORTABLE IN ARRL DX CONTEST
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Mon Feb 10 09:17:09 2003
I never sign portable 3, except when callling in a DX pileup going by
numbers, and it's to my advantage :.)

Seriously... As you know, the FCC elminated call areas years ago.
Despite the fact many people like to think about the days of yore,
when there were call areas in the US, they no longer exist.  The only
significance to the number is where the callsign was first issued,
and even this isn't true with the vanity calls.

IMO, a short call has advantages. I do not lengthen it voluntarily.
Some smaller contests (eg., Slovenian RTTY contest) require the
portable designator. I am NOT portable. PA is my FCC licensed
location, so I don't operate contests that require this erroneous
information.

Once in a while, I'll get a PA? in response to my 599PA, but I'd
rather resend the exchange once every hundred QSOs, than send /3
every QSO.

When S&P'ing, a longer call isn't better. Placing your call (timing
and freq offset) is what's important.

73,
Barry, W2UP (operating in NY 1969-1982, PA since 1983, except for NH
in 1986)