RE: [CQ-Contest] LoTW Fee Schedule just released !!!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] LoTW Fee Schedule just released !!!
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:30:36 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, k9tm wrote:

> Cost of QSL cards (no longer needed) last time I ordered them $0.10 (ordered
> in 1000 qty)
> Cost of postage for US cards $0.37 (to send card and sase), dx are $0.80
> Cost of postage for SASE $0.37, dx add $1
> Cost of envelopes $0.06
> Cost of labels $0.10
> Total cost of above items required per domestic QSL $1, dx QSL $2.06 (other
> misc items probably raise this over $1?)
>
> Cost of my time now saved, priceless!
>
> Not to mention the number of $1/$2.06 attempts that lead to no qsl.

I would like to participate in LotW but all of my logs for the last 35
years are on paper except for contest logs for the last 6 years or so.
(The only significant DX logs out of that are maybe for the last 10
years.)

That's tens of thousands of QSO's that aren't in digital form.  I may get
around to putting them into a computer log if I ever "retire".  It's not a
priority in my life.  So I'm not likely to participate in it soon.

Those of you who read the 3Y0PI book know that those logs were all on
paper.  Has anyone taken the time to put them in digital form?

The QSL's I've had the most trouble getting replies to are from CIS states
and South America.  JA's QSL with wild abandon. EU stations usually get
the cards OK and reply sooner or later.  I'm wondering if these same CIS
and SA stations that have the high mail theft rates are likely to
participate in LotW.  Some of them don't have computers.  Even in these
high-tech days some of them have stations they built themselves from
scrounged parts. I have a feeling that a few of these are going to have
to go the old route anyway - mail the card, wait a year, mail another,
etc. until you get one back.

73, Zack W9SZ