Re: [CQ-Contest] LoTW Fee Schedule just released !!!

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LoTW Fee Schedule just released !!!
From: "Lee Hiers" <aa4ga@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:20:13 -0400
On 29 Sep 2003 at 23:26, Pete Smith wrote:

> >Hmm.  Seems like the ARRL will be making money off my data...perhaps they
> >should pay me
> >to upload my logs.
> >

> And how do they defray the cost of the server, communication lines, and
> people to develop and maintain the software?

Exactly the way they're doing it - by charging for the product.  They're not
getting any
of those things free (well, I think some of the development work was done on a
volunteer
basis) - why should they expect to get the data for free?

> This looks to me like win-win, Lee.  They don't charge anyone for uploading
> QSO records, and the cost for confirming a QSO for award purposes is much
> less than with paper QSLs.

It looks like that's true if you're going for an ARRL award.  But, what if
someone wants
to use the confirmation for other awards?  If every award sponsor comes up with
his own
LoTW concept, you'll end up paying .25 per credit five times for awards from
five
sponsors.  A paper QSL may cost slightly more, but can be reused indefinitely.

I think it is that proprietary nature that bothers me.  It is not a "Logbook Of
The
World".  It is a "Logbook For The ARRL".  And as far as bashing the ARRL goes,
I've been
a Life Member for over twenty-five years - so, I'm entitled.  I agree the ARRL,
like most
things, ain't what it used to be...or doesn't seem to be anyway.

I've operated from a half-dozen Caribbean islands over the years, and have sent
out QSLs
for those operations with never having had to document my license.  I couldn't
do it now
to save my life - I haven't kept copies of those licenses...well, they may be
around here
- somewhere....  Admittedly, I haven't had many requests recently, but I would
get QSL
requests often 10 years after the operations.

And I could have been sending out QSLs for years to buddies of mine for N4ZR
contacts,
"confirming" WV for them, just by printing up the cards.  No one would know -
there has
never been this kind of authorization scrutiny in the past.  It wasn't needed
then, and
isn't needed now.  Yes, there have been certain operations for which proof of
authorization to operate was required, but those cases were rare, and involved
situations
where there was some question about whether any operations at all were legal or
not.

If anyone wants to use the LoTW, that's just fine with me.  But, it's not the
end-all
that some folks seem to think it is.  I may even end up submitting my logs, but
I doubt
it.

This topic should probably not be discussed here...it's more appropriate for
one of those
God-awful rec.radio newsgroups.

JMO...

73 de Lee