Re: [CQ-Contest] "Please copy my number"

To: Georgek5kg@aol.com, CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "Please copy my number"
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:06:12 -0500
At 01:17 PM 11/17/03 -0500, Georgek5kg@aol.com wrote:

I'd like to offer the following comments after having just finished SS Phone:

1.) How many times did we hear "please copy my number"? I don't want to be
too critical about anyone who uses this phrases, but I'd also like to say that
extra wording tends to slow down the process. It's not uncommon to hear
"please copy my number" perfectly well, only to miss the number. Had the op not
"used up" clear air space to say the words, perhaps the number would have come
through instead.

I agree, but there is some utility when doing S&P in a null syllable or two before the content that counts, just to let the other guy know you're transmitting, and in case his T/R relay hangs a little. I frequently use "Thanks" or "QSL.
"
When you're running, it shouldn't matter, because you have sent his call before the number anyway.

3.) Saying serial numbers. I find that saying numbers like 360 as "three
hundred sixty" is confusing. Upon hearing "three hundred" I tend to type ahead
and key in "30". When I hear the "sixty", I then have to back up and key in
the "60". Ok, this may be my awkwardness as an op, but I much prefer to hear
the numbers are said individually. 360 said as "three six zero", for example.

The same thing goes for the "teens", fifteen, sixteen, etc.  I'd much prefer
to hear "one five",  "one six", etc.

Leading "zeros".  I find it best if the ops do not try to add leading zeros
unless, of course, if they pronounce the numbers individually, such as "zero
one five".  For me, omitting any mention of the leading zeros is preferred.

I agree that leading zeros are a pain, but disagree on the voicing of numbers. In marginal conditions, "thousand," "hundred," "-ty" and "-teen" often make the difference between my needing a fill and feeling confident enough to go on, because they give a "place value" to the numeral as well as a numerical value. When asked to repeat a number I commonly do both -- "five-four, fifty-four" or "1 3 2 one hundred thirty two." Here the redundancy and the place value interlock IMO.

You missed the most aggravating scenario, though, unnecessary redundancy during the exchange. You're running, and a weak station answers, but you're hearing him well at the moment. You give his call and the exchange, and listen. He comes back "N4ZR November Four Zanzibar Romeo I QSL Thank you for your number three hundred forty two. Please copy your number oops my number thirty three 3 3 alpha alpha Kilo Echo Seven Sierra Bravo Mexico (fictitious call) Kilo Echo Seven Sierra Bravo Mexico Check of 5 4 fifty four in Santa Clara Valley that's SCV."

Please, please, please, say it once quickly and let me ask for any fills I need.

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29. 2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated. Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm