RE: [CQ-Contest] cqww ssb spotting report

To: "'Simon Brown, HB9DRV'" <simon@hb9drv.ch>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] cqww ssb spotting report
From: "Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:54:31 -0700
I have to disagree.  Spotting helps.  I was just playing around in the WW
test and it was fun just to click on spots and go work people.  Would I have
worked them anyway? Maybe.  Many of the Carib stations were jumping between
10, 15 and 20 so it was nice having them spotted.

I just ran SS CW this weekend as a peanut whistle station and I can tell you
that when I got spotted my rates increased.

In WW I spotted stations that did not show up on my bandmap.  If the station
was already there I figured the spot was not that old.

As for the scenario of Single Op with a buddy watching his dial is not
necessary.  The Single op can log in with a bogus call over the internet and
post his own changes.  I am sure there are plenty of ways to spoof the ip
address if one really wanted to.  Secondly if you drag me down to  a
Caribbean Island for a contest you can bet I will be operating!

Cheating in contests has been going long before I was a ham.  The ways to
cheat just change.

Dave, thanks for your work in trying to focus on the anomalies seen in the
contests via the clusters.

Mike
W0MU