[CQ-Contest] Re: The Next BIG Step in contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: The Next BIG Step in contesting
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:08:15 -0800 (PST)
Maybe we can actually merge this into a solution to the self spotting thread by
considering the following proposal:

OPT-IN!

By utilizing the server idea and realizing that almost all ops utilizing
"packet" are actually internet connected, you could do an amazing thing here.
Require that "assisted" category sign into this new server to be eligible for
an award and forbid unassisted from doing so.  Make the server cool and with
lots of real time scoring updates (although I disagree with QSO/Band/mult
detail until the contest is over).  Have a few referees monitor the contest on
the server and let them have the ability to send an Instant Message to a
connected op.

What does this all do:
1) Doesn't alienate any casual contesters because they'll still see lots of
stuff on the normal packet nodes and DX Summit and can sign on to this new
server as assisted if they are so motivated.
2) Makes self (spoof) spotting on the unmonitored nodes less valuable because
"serious" contesters are either watching this cool dash board or off line.
3) Allows a referee to warn a suspected cheater real time through the IM method
that there is an unusal amount of spots showing up from so and so, or 3 people
now have IM'd the ref that you are asking to be spotted, etc.
4) Un-assisteds continue on without all the cool (distracting) stuff and play
radio (which is what they really like any way)
5) 24 hours after the contest, the server can dump lots of interesting data on
the contest based on what happened on it.  Unassisted info can update it as
posted (like 3830 is now).

I would think that some companies would jump at the chance to be be a scrolling
web ad on this server and post contest web site.  Anyone in the IT biz game for
this thing?  Its not my thing, besides I'm too busy putting up antennas and
reviewing prop data to see what my contest strategy is going to be.

I, too, really like the aspect of radio contesting that makes it very
challenging and don't want to be spoon fed.  I have no problem with people that
do and accept that the 2 groups are very necessary for the success of
contesting.  I think that the assisted/multi class should push the IT piece to
the farthest extreme possible (god speed to you....).  Just don't destroy the
art of RADIO contesting and make it into internet contesting.  There are lots
of gaming sites already in existence if that is what the end goal is.

73

Ed  N1UR (none of my computers in the shack even have an internet connection.
That's upstairs in the office).