Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: Limited AntennaHeightCat

To: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: Limited AntennaHeightCategory
From: "Russell Hill" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:47:27 -0600
Jim, I salute you for putting the time into encouraging new contesters. If 50 people did that, we could perhaps get 2-300 more serious contesters, thanks to the efforts of a dedicated few such as yourself.

If the stroke of a pen, or several pens, made a low towers/wire antennas category specifically targetted at little pistols available to the new contesters you are introducing, would there be a downside or a cost to the contesting community?

In order to not create a proliferation of categories, perhaps it should be further defined as low power, single op only. I am not trying to create a bunch of new categories so there can be lots of winners, I am simply trying to envision what it would take to get the little pistols to feel enthusiastic about a segment of contesting "just for them".

IMHO, Low power category or QRP does not create a meaningful category for the little guy when the low power or QRP is combined with a big tower. We have all seen that with big towers, High Power is not necessary to have a great score, if there is a great op.

Thanks again, Jim

Rusty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>