Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?

To: "Pat Collins N8VW" <n8vw@linuxcolumbus.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:11:52 -0600
The difference is thus:

The 10-minute rule was, rightly or wrongly, to prevent stations from
behaving like M/M but entering as M/S, where an M/M-like operation would
have a clear advantage.

By definition, a M/S operation is allowed to have multiple operators who,
left unchecked by rules, could be running other stations like an M/M. An
octopus-like lockout would add somewhat of a burden to the operation, but
not enough to entirely eliminate the advantage of pretending to be M/S but
operating M/M. You would still be following the letter of the
one-transmitted-signal-at-any-time rule, but not the intent.

Under the 10-minute rule, there's enough of a time penalty imposed on what
would have been the "other" stations that it wouldn't make sense to try to
cheat.

Single operators in most contests are under no such restrictions. You can
jump back and forth among bands as fast as your bandswitch will go if you
want. The only difference with SO2R is only that you're changing radios, not
bandswitch positions.

In the days of tube radios, I'm sure lots of folk realized there was a
time-saving if they could leave one radio tuned up for 80, one for 40, one
for 20 and so on. There has never been a limit on how many radios ONE
operator could use. The better able to juggle those radios, the better an
operator he was. Better operators will do better. Period.

73, kelly
ve4xt