Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M expansion?

To: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@gmail.com>,"Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M expansion?
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@n4gn.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:20:06 -0000
I think the target audience for many of the SW broadcasters live in remote
areas without internet access. Many SW broadcasters are religious
organizations whose mission is to spread the word to geographically far
flung and remote audiences. It's fairly clear to me that even here in late
2005 there are thousands, if not millions, of people who still depend on
their portable SW receivers to hear programming delivered by these
broadcasters.

Unfortunately you're not thinking this through logically. Consider the cost
for electric power for a 500 kw transmitter, maintenance, RF engineers, land
for the antenna systems, etc, etc.

Obviously web streaming would be far less costly than maintaining the huge
international SW transmitter sites. Many international broadcasters do place
content on their websites.

We have this very conversation at work almost daily. "How can we maximize
efficient delivery of content, especially content on demand". I'm a
broadcaster by trade. It supports my unfortunate addiction to DXing and
contesting on the amateur bands.

Believe me, if many of the SW international broadcasters could shut down
their transmitters while maintaining audience they'd do it tomorrow. Simple
economics.

I'm not apologizing for the international SW broadcasters, 40 meters was my
highest Q count in the SS fone. My brain was rattled by carrier heterodyne
for nearly 9 hours over the weekend. Got to the point where I knew it was
top and bottom of the hour when the musical ID signatures would come
twanging in my headphones.

Don't expect the SW broadcasters to QRT anytime soon. There simply aren't
many IPODS in the jungles of Guatemala or deserts of Western Sahara.

73,

Mark S. Williams
K9GX
Elizabeth, IN