Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Lessons learned

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Lessons learned
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:17:50 -0500
On Jan 22, 2006, at 9:09 PM, Charles Gallo wrote:

> Hi,
> As someone fairly new to the list, and contesting in general - I don't
> quite know if this is appropriate - but...

        If not here, then where?

> 2006 Jan NAQP SSB lessons learned
> This year was my first NAQP SSB (was not even contesting this time
> last year)
>
> Again, the lack of 80m capability hurt - a LOT.  I must figure out
> some way for 80m

No doubt about that.  Not enough room?

> I MUST try to run more, and not S&P

Eventually. When I first started, I was using a club station. High
power, just mash that PTT and start running. But then I started
contesting at home too. S&P was a real eye opener.   But I think it
helps you develop some skills that you just don't get by parking on a
frequency and running it during a contest.

> My signal on 40m seems good into the upper midwest (MI, WI etc)
>
> The Heil Proset Quietset (arrived Friday) really helped
>
> Spotting (I entered multi2) was useless - not worth the shift in
> class, in fact, I didn't even really use it
>
> I must schedule my off time (the 10 out of 12) better - I took 30
> minutes in the afternoon, 30 min in the early eve, and the rest at
> 9:15 - by the time I got back at 10:15, the bands I have (10-40m) were
> dead here
>
> Must get more sleep the night before the contest (then again , it
> allowed me to get CE0Z in the log, so....)
>
> It would be nice to get a better antenna, but that is on the list
> anyway - low wires are not the way to contest

        Of course, that depends on the contest! 8^)

        - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -