Re: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results
From: Ron Notarius WN3VAW <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:21:02 -0500 (CDT)
Like Jim, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw QST on a magazine rack at a
magazine/bookstore or in the magazine aisle of a supermarket.  And I do see CQ,
but it's sporadic.

There are reasons why, and at least some of them come from the periodical
distributors, not the ARRL.  Primarily, if the magazine doesn't sell well, or
well enough, it eventually gets bumped to a lower position -- or off the rack
entirely -- to make room for something that will sell.   And if a magazine
sells poorly, generating a lot of returned publications to the distributor,
they stop carrying it.

So what often happens with both QST and CQ (and 73 when it was still around) is
that someone spots it on the newstand, buys a copy, keeps buying for a few
months (we hope), and eventually gets a subscription because it's much cheaper
in the long run.  Which means one less off-the-rack buyer... and it adds up.

Personally, years ago when I worked in downtown Pittsburgh, I was always amused
that certain "adult" stores always prominently displayed CQ, PopComm, and/or 73
in their front windows, along with some photography, travel, and other hobby
magazines.  Why?  I asked once.  It was there way of showing that they catered
to "legit" interests too -- and they didn't care how many the sold (they only
stocked a few copies of each anyway), it was basically a "for show" / good
publicity loss leader.

Now, regarding contest scores in QST:  OK, I understand it was a business
decision and why.  Still don't like it, but I understand it.  I doubt that if
all else remains equal, that the League or QST staff will change that decision
due to the practicality of the finances involved (remember, while they're a
not-for-profit organization, they still can't afford to lose money in the long
run).  Therefore:  Why don't we as contesters start asking the various
manufacturers and suppliers for us to start sponsoring the results?  I know
traditionally there's been little if any advertising within the "content" pages
of QST, but still... would you be willing to tolerate a page of advertising
from XYZ Radios, and content in the article clearly indicating "contest results
sponsored by XYZ Radio," in return for getting the results back in?  I would,
but then, who the heck am I, anyway?

73, ron wn3vaw