Re: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:21:13 -0700
Rpn, WN3VAW, wrote:

> Like Jim, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw QST on a magazine rack at a
> magazine/bookstore or in the magazine aisle of a supermarket.  And I do see
> CQ,
> but it's sporadic.

Hey folks, here's something to chew on, especially since the concern over
getting "new blood" into Ham Radio (and CONTESTING!!!) has been the subject of
discussion on varoius Reflectors...as well as OH2BH's admonition at Visalia
2005.

Picture this as a possibility of how to attract more young people into the
hobby (or healthy "addiction", in the case of Contesting)...

An alternative to newstand placement(s) or school libraries, etc. might be
strictly a .pdf version with a reference link/URL promoted in places like
myspace.com and other known youth Internet hangouts.  A great potential avenue
might be distributions in conjunction with several Rotary International
programs such as RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards) and the Interact kids.

What I'm talking about is a STANDALONE, ONE-TIME "ANTHOLOGY" type mini-QST
publication maybe titled "BEYOND TEXTING" or "REAL WIRELESS", etc.  On the
front page is a pix of 13 Year Old Extra Class YL DXER Rebekah Dorff, WG4Y,
operating from PJ2T.  She gave a great presentation at Visalia, and although I
don't remember the callsign of the young man who also got up and spoke there
("Reed"?), he was one heck of an articulate fella whom I am sure could write a
great article.  The pages of this mini-pub would be filled with articles &
photos of ONLY young people invovled in some aspect of Ham Radio, and why they
find it so cool.

Speaking from experience, I've met many young people with "Public Service"
interests through my involvement with these Rotary youth programs.  Talk about
ideal candidates for articles dealing with the role of Ham Radio in
Emergency/Disaster scenarios along with links on how to get a license!!!  Of
course, advertising content from all the "HT" manufacturers could help offset
some production costs :-)

An article on why "Contesting" is the ULTIMATE "Reality Video Game" might help
in getting some new blood into our niche area.  If every major Contest
Multi-Multi station would make provisions for one chair to be filled by a young
Contester Newbie, and maybe combine it with a "Contest" for a chance to win one
or more operating seats in a major (SSB) Contest from a Contesting Super
Station, consider the possibilities!

This does not have to be a 100+ page deal.

Put on YOUR thinking caps, folks.  I see opportunity knocking...don't let it
pass US by.

FYI & 73...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust