Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards ???

To: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards ???
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:56:57 -0400
Ken, the issue of whether a scoreboard would inadvertently help your
competition was intensively discussed last fall on the real-time scoring
reflector that WA7BNM maintains, and one of the first decisions was to give
each operator control over what information is posted and when.  For example,
if your competition's seeing your current band would help him catch openings he
might miss otherwise, you don't have to disclose that; same goes for
band-by-band totals, mult counts, or anything else.  As for the "real-time"
aspect, the working assumption is that scores will be posted at intervals
selectable by the operator, so a lag could be built in.

The whole idea of developing a data standard is not only to make life easier
for the logging software writers.  It will also let contest organizers decide
whether or not to implement a scoreboard for their event, and then be able to
implement one easily, because the data provided by the logging programs follows
a single standard format.

To my mind, at least, the most important goal is to interest non-contesters in
the sport by conveying the competitive excitement, as well as showing them how
quickly participating in a contest can move them toward their personal goals,
whether WAS, DXCC or whatever.  I agree that competitors might not be the
principal audience for a scoreboard, in some contests at least; on the other
hand, wouldn't it be fun to see a comparison of the rovers in a major state QSO
party, as they were pounding the pavement from one county to another?

73, Pete N4ZR