Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL says no to opening logs...

To: David Robbins K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL says no to opening logs...
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:21:03 -0500 (CDT)
Suppose I work a DXpedition and they log me as W9HZ on CW (sorry to the
real holder of the call). If only I and the QSL'er know the date and time
of the QSO, I can query it and probably still get a card - especially if
W9HZ has no idea when the QSO was logged by the DX station.  Most QSLers
and QSL managers seem to go by what's called Martti Laine's
"one-character rule" - they will QSL a busted call if it only has one
character wrong and it's plausible the DXpedition busted your call, with
all other QSO info being present and accurate. Note - I'm talking about
DXpeditions here, NOT contesting - the rules are different.

Now, suppose the FULL QSO data is available to anyone on the internet
(date, time, frequency, mode).  Now W9HZ can just send for a card and get
it, because he knows all the QSO details, and I will be out one QSL.

Worse still, suppose I get logged correctly but W9HZ claims HE was the
station actually worked.  With full access to all QSO data, how is that
argument going to be cleared up? We both know all the QSO data.

I already outlined how I actually got a card for a 40 meter CW QSO that
busted my call.

73, Zack W9SZ