Re: [CQ-Contest] Another angle on assisted versus "being helped"

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Another angle on assisted versus "being helped"
From: "VE5ZX" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 16:40:03 -0600
Tree

> The reason that we don't allow packet in "unassisted" is that many of us
> want to perserve a cateogry that rewards the operator for being able to
> find the missing multipliers efficiently.  We do not want this category
> to be diluted with people getting their clean sweeps with "help" from
> people on their frequency

I agree that dilution is a problem and current categories should be
preserved. However, I believe that much of the discussion about assisted vs.
unassisted is due to the general resistance of contest sponsors to change.
Perhaps the intensity and frequency of the discussions about categories and
definitions would decrease if contestants could have access to more
information.

Consider the CQWW rules, there is only one class of assisted -- qrp, low and
high power competitors are lumped together yet the logs contain the
information needed to allow qrp, low and high power competitors to compare
themselves with similar competitors. While the sponsors may choose to make
awards based on the existing rules it would be helpful and encouraging if
they would put the results on-line and include the information collected in
the logs so that competitors can create classes of their own choosing.

Taking this notion a bit further and if more information were collected from
each competitor about their setups then they could explore how they did
compared to other types of setup that we might choose. For example, a group
of competitors might wish to explore how different types of assistance
affects scores.

With a little vision, some policies changes and a bit of technology it is
possible to keep the current categories from being diluted  and at the same
time open new vista for understand the art of radio sports.

Syl

Sylvan Katz - VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK