Re: [CQ-Contest] Log-checking and RST [was: cut numbers]

To: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>,"David Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log-checking and RST [was: cut numbers]
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 17:12:50 -0600
Such statistics may prove hard to find: so few stations send anything other
than 5nn anyway, the number of people who could, if they wanted to, bust an
RST is small.

I do, however, know from experience that ARRL log-checking checks all
elements of an exchange. I've had QSOs busted in SS because any one element
was wrong.

In the paper days, I can certainly see how busted exchanges could be missed.
And while it's certainly possible for software to fail, I think today, the
chances of a busted exchange surviving the log-checking process is
considerably smaller.

As for cut numbers, use them if you wish. If I don't get it, it's my
responsibility to ask you for a fill. Darwinism will tell you if it's wise
to continue using them. Too much time lost to fills on cut numbers means you
shouldn't be using them. Or that you need to use them more wisely. (A cut
number in your callsign will probably waste quite a bit of time. Two 'n's
after a 5 is pretty standard. I don't even flinch hearing Enn anymore.)

I think just as we can turn up the speed when we're working someone we know
is a hot CW op, but leave it alone when we're not sure how fast the other
guy can copy, it's probably wise to be selective in who gets the hot-shot
cut-number exchange and who should probably get a conventional exchange.

bv,
kelly,
ve4xt