[CQ-Contest] Contesting and hearing aids

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and hearing aids
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:48:49 -0400
In a couple of weeks, because of a gradually worsening high-frequency
hearing loss, I plan to be fitted with a couple of Widex digital hearing
aids - the behind the ear variety with open-fit ear tubes that don't block
the ear canal.

I am looking for any advice other contesters have to offer about use of
such hearing aids.  I am primarily a CW HF contester, and my hearing loss
is all above 1000Hz (so far).  Physical comfort aside, should I expect any
issues if I try to wear the hearing aids while operating the radio?  Any
RFI concerns?  Will the inductive telephone coils in the units be a problem
with earphones?  Any tips on adjustment?  Because the hearing aids will
provide ~40 dB of high frequency boost, are they likely to be more tiring
than my bare ears, for CW?  For phone, will the high frequency improvement
make a difference in intelligibility?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3300 contest stations