Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:33:58 -0500
Hi Tom.  For future NAQPs I would campaign for two K9AY loops a half wave
apart and fed in phase bearing East, and possibly something low and down in
the gully up in back of the 40 tower, like N7MAL's low dipole or whatever,
so that it was physically shielded from the nearby power lines but open to
the incoming sky waves.

A well-built K9AY could drop a serious null on that noise source you have
down the hill, but unfortunately it would take out a lot of QSOs to the
Northeast.  However, there are a lot of Qs and Mults to be had in the other
directions in the NAQP.  With any luck the WX in January might quiet the
noise source as well.

For DX I'd consider arrays of short verticals.  I had very good luck with
those at W8JI in January.

Mark, N5OT