Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas

To: "Dale Putnam" <daleputnam@hotmail.com>,"Tom Taormina" <tom@k5rc.cc>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas
From: "D LINDSAY ESVLC EXP LINER MGR" <DLindsay.vlc@mscspain.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:56:20 +0200
Very timely thread....

I will be doing CQWW SSB this year from a beachside location in EA6
(Formentera island) and am still wondering what band to do, bearing in
mind I will only have a few hours to set up shop before sundown. The
bands I was weighing up were 40 and 80, the plan being to put our new
"KISS" phased verticals through their paces.

In my troubled sleep last night I started mixing up my plans for a new
160m mobile antenna with the spiderpoles I plan to buy for another
project, and came up with what looks like an oversized mobile antenna
for 160m. In my imagination it consists of an 18m spiderpole with wire
for a radiator, a loading coil about 6m from the base, and a cap hat
just above the coil. It would sit on the beachfront with two or three
resonant and elevated radials. The thing that appeals to me about the
antenna is that it is only one antenna to erect instead of two for the
phased verticals, and I don't have to lug a load of phasing lines and
stubs along with me. (OK, I could do the phased vertical thing for 160
too but I think that's maybe a bit OTT).

Now I am awake, I am trying to see the disadvantages of this system, but
as I plough through the morning mail, all I see that Dale reckons a
short loaded vertical would do good for RX too.... I also see that Alex
K2BB is going vertical to the seaside too....

Is there something I'm missing here or is this just maybe a good idea???
And if it were to be a good idea, how might I go about calculating the
coil I need to wind?

73 de Duncan EA5ON