Re: [CQ-Contest] CWSS and daylight savings time

To: KI9A@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CWSS and daylight savings time
From: Aldewey@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:03:03 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/2007 6:17:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
KI9A@aol.com writes:

We start  an hour later than normal, the way I see it. Am I right?

2100Z during  DST is 4 PM local ( central )

2100Z after DST is 3 PM local ( central  )

73-Chuck KI9A

The way I understand it, we will start at the same time (3 PM in the
midwest) but then ending time will be one hour earlier on the wall clock  (i.e
8 PM
in the midwest).

My concern is that there are some logging programs out there that may be  set
up to look at the local time in your computer and then work with an offset
to get it to GMT to display in your log.  If that's the case, it would seem
like at some time during the weekend (2 AM?) the time would jump back one hour
and some Qs would be recorded with duplicate times.  Also, I'm not sure  what
effect this will have on time off / time on calculation.

By the way, I think I did install the patch earlier this year for the new
DST change but, as I recall, it did not work correctly.  I still had to get  up
the next day and manually change the clock.

Maybe this is all transparent and the major logging programs have this all
figured out.  I don't recall ever operating a contest on a weekend when the
time changed.  I guess I just don't want a surprise in the middle of the
contest.

73,

Al, K0AD