Re: [CQ-Contest] CWSS and daylight savings time

To: Aldewey@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CWSS and daylight savings time
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:16:44 -0400
All:

I find this whole discussion amusing.  It is a perfect example of the
reason we have UTC, or zulu time, and why we, as radio operators, should
use it as our frame of reference.

The SS rules do not define the contest in terms of local time.  It is
defined in universal time.  The contest starts and ends at the appointed
universal time.  Local time is irrelevent, except if YOU decide to view
the contest in that manner.

How DST affects your logging computer is a Windows issue if your
computer is set to compensate for it.  When the DST conventions change,
Windows will likely not compensate correctly, but this doesn't change
when the contest starts and ends.

Maybe I'm putting too fine of a point on it, but it a number of e-mails
seem to indicate that people think the contest period moves because DST
changes, and that simply isn't so.

Dave/K8CC