Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and the cluster network - was: Skimmer - Propos

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and the cluster network - was: Skimmer - Proposal & Compromise
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:24:15 -0700
On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 06:45:18AM -0400, Pete Smith wrote:
> with this limitation (and discounting the obvious miscopies) the number of
> Skimmer spots exceeds the number of human spots on the worldwide network by
> at least 10:1;  There are two main reasons for this:
>
> *  Most important, Skimmer posts every CQ'er it can copy, not just those
> that a human operator somewhere deemed interesting.  That alone makes
> Skimmer spots on a network more of an annoyance than a benefit for DXers,
> but it can make a local Skimmer invaluable for a contester looking for new
> stations to work on Sunday.

I think that is a great thing - with Skimmer generated packet spots
you can eliminate the problem of spot inequity.  Perhaps with enough
Skimmers feeding the packet system from enough different locations you
can have a situation where everyone is spotted an equal number of
times.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net