Re: [CQ-Contest] Replacement for Novice Roundup?

To: "CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Replacement for Novice Roundup?
From: "KU7Y" <ku7y.cw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:41:48 -0700
WN6JXO way back in 51 or 52, can't remember which!  I don't think there was
a NR back then!  Novice was only good for 1 year and non-renewable.

I spend a lot of time with the QRP crowd which includes a LOT of newer hams.
There are many small, short QRP "contests" (or events might be a better
word)  that give them a good way to "get their feet wet".

>From reading the list for several years the biggest "turn off" I see
mentioned a lot is the big, loud stations just sitting there CQing at some
fast speed.  It seems to take a long time for a great many of them to even
try working one!

Another is that far too often, in their opinion, when they call CQ, people
answer them much faster than they can copy.

I realize that both the above are simple speed issues which back when I was
starting just made me mad at myself for not being able to copy that fast.
But times change..... I get the feeling that many think that everyone else
should slow down so they can play too.

Commenting on that is nothing but a waste of time.  What we need to do is
help them get their skills up to a level where they can have fun too.

The idea of only letting the "new contesters" call CQ has some merit IMHO.

Hope this helps everyone understand how some of the newer folks feel/think.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
SOWP 5545M
Brenda, AZ