Re: [CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQ Contest (pet

To: n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQ Contest (petition for change).
From: Jack Haverty <k3fiv@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 09:00:05 -0700
Thanks - I hadn't stumbled upon the CQMM DX contest yet.  It does seem
to be on the right track.

One other idea I forgot earlier.  Instead of defining a team as a fixed
number of operators, perhaps define a team as a fixed number of
operating hours - however a contest defines operating time.  E.G., if a
contest allows SO entrants to operate for at most 30 hours, define a
team as a max of 150 hours of operating time.  A team could be 5
operators working all 30 hours, or 10 operators working only 15 hours,
or any other combination.

There would be considerable strategy involved for a club in forming a
team and setting a schedule of hours and bands.  With intra-team
coordination the strategy could also become tactical as decisions are
made during the contest in response to propagation etc.

With teams defined by hours instead of bodies, the endurance skill of
being able to sit in a chair and stay awake for days becomes less of a
factor.  Radio skills become more important to the final team score.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV