[CQ-Contest] Love my operating chair

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>, CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Love my operating chair
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:39:10 +0700
20 yrs ago, after I totalled up all I had invested in gear, I decided to
invest in myself.  I purchased a Steelcase brand full posture desk chair.
Shoulder hi back, adjustable tilt fore and aft, adjustable up and down,
adjustable hardness of the front seat edge, short arms (away from front of
desk), and a lumbar cushioning rear back.  Five swivel wheels.

I could have bought a good antenna tuner or a Ham-M but this was the best
ham item I own.  It allows my thighs to be horiz, my feet flat on the
floor, or raised on a small stool, and back adjust. too.

Also, I cut the legs for my operating table to TYPING HEIGHT, not desk
height (research on Internet), and put extra feet under the front legs of
my radios to angle them upward.  My logging monitor is at eye line height
and above the radios.  My keyboard is the shorty kind with no number or
arrow keys on the right side, leaves another 6 inches of desk space.  I
would have liked to put the keyboard in a pull out drawer just under the
table, but needed a twoXfour across there to hold the weight of the gear.

My transceiver is at typing table height, with the main knob in line with
my right shoulder.  Being right handed to run the kbrd and Morse paddle
(paddle is to right of rig), my rotor controls are to the left of the
monitor.  I like the HyGain single button  6 pre-sets rotor control model
DCU-1 (note the DCU-2 is not as good but newer).*

  Left and right speakers are separated by 5 ft. and at ear height.  Manual
tunable amps are on the upper right (right handed) and auto-tune thing is
on upper left.

VOX on ssb with Heil 4 element and headset.  (if you dont like VOX, you
dont have a FT-9000 line of radio... smooth).  Lemon juice drinks, no
coffee, finger food delivered to desk.  Empty gallon jug on floor under
table.

Ant selector is remote sw box slaved to rig.  Computer gets exact rig freq
to N1MM log.   And, that is my only automation.

The posture chair, however, is the most important contest accessory I have.

73, Charly K4VUD

*Sadly and strangely, there is no other true and full PRE-SET rotor control
available.  The best the non-DCU-1 controllers can do is to turn the
rotable knob to the desired bearing and push go.  The latter style means
you must look carefully at the bearing knob for much longer time than
pushing a pre-set button.  Yaesu, listen up  !!!

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>wrote:

> Many of us will recognize Contester's Crouch - sitting in front of a radio
> or a computer screen, head forward, shoulders hunched, ready to pounce.
>  It's instinctive, maybe, but not very healthy.
>
> For the last dozen years or so, I've had a buildup of calcium on my neck
> vertebrae, pressing on nerves going down to my right arm.  When I sit for a
> long time - as in contests -  it can be really painful. After making lots
> of compensatory changes in the ergonomics of my station over the years,
> this fall was disappointingly familiar, but with a new addition - strong
> referred pain in the muscles just inside my shoulder-blade on that side.
>
> So it was back to the physical therapist again, for more traction and
> electro-stimulation, but this time he suggested I try something else - a
> large lumbar cushion placed vertically in the lower back of my desk chair.
>  Because my weight would carried on the cushion rather than where my upper
> back rests against the chair, the effect would be to push my lower back
> forward, and shift my shoulders back.  I had been using a small one for
> driving, to help relieve some sciatica, so I figured, why not try it?
>
> In my case, benefit was immediate and dramatic.  Where an hour or two in
> the chair would produce strong pain, now I can sit for hours with no pain
> at all.  I'm not about to go 44 out of 48 hours like K0DQ and others who
> totally defy aging, but this way I can have all the fun I want out of
> contesting, pain-free.
>
> The particular cushion I use is by Tempur-Pedic, and is close to 3 inches
> thick.  No particular brand preference here, except that the temperature
> sensitive foam adjusts nicely to spread the pressure across my back.
>
> And of course, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.  YMMV, etc.
>
> --
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
> http://reversebeacon.net,