Re: [CQ-Contest] When is speed not speedy?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is speed not speedy?
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 00:32:28 -0000
  From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
  To: john@kk9a.com ; cq-contest@contesting.com
  Cc: hs0zcw@gmail.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 22:55

  John,

  The worst example of a serial number using cut numbers happened to me twice
in WPX.  I worked two different stations that sent four digit serial numbers
ending in 50. Using a cut number for the "zero", the two different stations
sent -- at a very high speed -- dit dit dit dit dit  dah.  I copied this as a
4, but I knew instinctively that something didn't feel right because of the
extra space before the ending dah.  I had to ask for many repeats before I
finally got it!

  BTW, I can easily copy something north of 40 wpm, so this was not a case
where the speed was over my head.  What was over my head was the cut number for
the "zero" a number 5.

  My impression at the time was that these speed demon whiz kids using their
fancy-schmancy cut numbers had just wasted a bunch of my time!

  73, Geo...

  George Wagner, K5KG
  Sarasota, FL
  941-400-1960 cell

  In a message dated 5/30/2013 6:29:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,