Re: [CQ-Contest] When is speed not speedy?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is speed not speedy?
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:38:01 -0500
I don't care for cut numbers other than 5NN, the standard "synch pulse" of contest exchanges.

During the WPX last weekend with very poor conditions, those using cut numbers hurt themselves and the stations they were working. Of all the stations I worked who used cut numbers, at least 75% of them I needed to ask for a repeat, if not two or more repeats. Here's why...

The number sequence 0 to 9 (should) always contain 5 'elements'. Sending numbers in this manner provides a built-in error checking scheme. If I am expecting a serial number and I hear two dits and one dah, I already know this will be the number 2. When I hear the remaining two dahs, this confirms that I just heard the number two. Likewise, if I hear a dah dit, I already know this is the number 6, and the trailing three dits confirms that.

Furthermore, when listening to a sequence of four numbers, I am expecting four groups of 5-elements with appropriate spacing between the groups. This built-in error checking can often survive moderate QRN without having to ask for a repeat.

However, when you start throwing cut numbers into the sequence, the entire error checking scheme goes out the window and requires a strong, noiseless environment. This was not the band conditions I experienced last weekend. In addition to QRN, the propagation, auroral flutter, and back scatter was severely distorting signals at times. It was tough enough receiving the full 5-element numbers, let alone a solo dit or dah thrown into the middle of a serial number sequence.

Those of you who use cut numbers should be aware that I will continue to ask for a repeat until I am 100% confident I received the correct number for the log. I am not about to take a 3X penalty because you believe using cut numbers has some kind of advantage.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN