Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 00:40:32 -0700
On Mon,10/13/2014 3:12 PM, Rich Hallman - N7TR wrote:
Has anyone actually tested the ftdx-5000 since the latest firmware update which
was supposed to have resolved this issue with the wide cw signal?

If I had one, I could measure it, but it would be hard to compare my results to the ARRL Lab results. A more interesting question is, what does Yaesu say they changed?

Note that I leaked an early version of my study to Yaesu, and the firmware update was released a week or so later.

Rich Hallman, N7TR
Ex.  KI3V, N3AMK, HL9RH, A92FN

>On Oct 12, 2014, at 6:58 PM, "David  Thompson"<thompson@mindspring.com>  wrote:
>
>I wonder if this ham gets a commission from Elecraft?

Huh? The data in my study came from ARRL Labs. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

I paid retail price for the two K3s I bought new in 2008 as kits. I bought a third one used about three years ago. I get NO breaks from Elecraft. I also paid full price for the other Elecraft gear I own, except that I got a discount of perhaps $50 on an antenna tuner because I was a beta tester.

  Maybe the K3's he has needs a better front end so they are not overloaded by
nearby hams.

Again, you need to study data from ARRL Labs and Sherwood Engineering, which document the RECEIVE performance of all of these rigs. Receivers in the K3 and FTDX5000 tested quite well, near the top of the pack, the Icoms are not nearly as good. But the Yaesu and ICOM TX are very dirty, as tested by ARRL.

73, Jim K9YC