Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:59:35 -0500
Dale, yeah but it would be even better if it WERE applied in real-time. Let me join you, thinking outside the box on this topic... the variety of comments got me thinking that it might be possible to develop a "Quality of Signal" standard, based upon what is actually heard on the air. Part of such a system is already in place, known as the Reverse Beacon Network... at least for CW and RTTY signals.

As everyone knows, the RBN feeds an unbiased signal strength back to the user (community) without regard to "who it is, what antennas they are using, which direction they are beaming, or what equipment is on the opposite end of the coax." I propose if a signal quality indicator system was created that produced a numeric value between 1 to 100, that QoS figure could also be reported.

In this scenario, maybe a "perfect signal" would score in the 90 to 100 range. "More dirty signals" would fall below that range. The impact would be a lot of exposure and peer pressure to those who score low. Many radios provide a menu adjustment for CW "attack" so an operator could experiment with this value to get feedback on its effect. I am always interested in the signal reports from the existing RBN and I would (personally) be thrilled to know where my on-the-air signal would appear on a QoS rating.

As has been mentioned, most fellows don't have the test equipment therefore have no idea how their signal sounds on the air. I sold off all my test gear so I am now sailing in the same boat! Normally I don't get any complaints, but a while ago someone told me my RTTY signal "sounded odd" to them, even though they could decode it without issue. After hearing that report, I traced the problem to an audio cable, even though I was using FSK to key the radio. I have no idea how long my signal "sounded odd", but if there had been a QoS system in place, I would have probably noticed this problem immediately. It definitely was not apparent when listening to the radios built-in monitor.

Inserting a QoS value into the RBN distribution is most likely easier than developing a QoS detection system. That said, I recall when the CW skimmer and RBN were being developed, thinking to myself "Geez, it would really be great if the someone would create an RTTY skimmer too." The RTTY system is here now.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN