Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

To: "k5zd@charter.net" <k5zd@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs
From: Stuart Phillips <stu@ridgelift.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 21:05:54 +0000
There are several problems in judging a “dirty rig”…

“Dirty” by whose standards?

The FCC publishes required levels of operation for several aspects of radio
performance but is silent on matters like phase noise etc beyond using phrases
like “commonly accepted engineering practice”.

Hams have a reasonable expectation that their radio complies with the
regulations when they purchase it.  But what happens when someone uses a 40
year old radio in a contest?  Regulations typically grandfather older products
that continue in use today.

As an example. many of the older radios have poor lower sideband suppression -
often as little as 30 dB - modern radios are much better.

So how is one to assess a penalty on the user of a “dirty” rig that to complied
to the regulations (and likely engineering practice) in effect when the rig was
purchased?  Should we add a rule that says (as the originator of this thread
comes close to suggesting) only Elecraft K3 radios built after date X may be
used in the contest?  No, I didn’t think so…

Further, if a station with a “clean” rig operates next to a station with a
“dirty” rig, how are you going to measure the contributory effects of one on
the other?  How are you going to do this at distance X, 2X, 3X etc where the
signal strengths drop away?  Comes close to the first rock principle…

Designing a standard for contest radios is straight forward (though not without
controversy). Compliance can be assessed in a lab - that is clear.  IMO,
measuring compliance on a crowded band with mixed contributions to measurement,
coupled with older rigs cannot be done in a manner that would pass peer review.

I’m sure some vendors of modern equipment would LOVE a rule in a contest that
made old radios obsolete by assessing them a huge contest penalty.  I’m sure
this email reflector will keel over and croak from the load should a contest
organizer try this.  Go on!  Some one has to be first! :-)

The issue is real - of that there is no question.  BUT… as operators we have a
choice of where we operate on the band. One always has the choice to move -
plus, a good operator with a good radio can pull signals out from the noise
created by the “dirty” rig - yes, it takes time but that’s part of the required
skill level.

ARRL and others like Rob Sherwood, Adam Farson etc help improve the knowledge
of the ham community and in turn that helps incentivize manufacturers to
improve their products.  We as hams can also vote with our wallets...

But it still doesn’t address the grandfathered issue of older rigs - and likely
never will.

Lastly, we need to review the agenda of those who might raise this issue in
pursuit of  personal vendettas.  Beware the hidden agenda that might in some
communities be reasonably viewed as harassment and unacceptable behavior in our
modern society.

… and no, I don’t possess one of the radios on the so called “dirty list”. ;-)

Stu K6TU