Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:37:11 -0700
On 10/21/2014 10:09 AM, George Harlem wrote:
  But until the FCC officially decertifies the FTdx5000, I do not consider
myself in violation of 97.307(a).

The LAST thing we would want to do is involve the FCC in this. Far better to police this ourselves.

As to checking your own rig -- someone who knows what they are doing can use a P3 connected to the IF of a radio with a bulletproof front end to take "before and after the fix" screen shots of your signal and compare them. You need to be loud enough at the station doing the measurement that you're at least 50 dB above band noise. I made the P3 measurements on the 7600 on 10M when the band was dead, with a station 10 miles from me. http://k9yc.com/K6XXAmpTalk.pdf There are several other P3 traces done during a contest with many signals present, looking primarily at two very strong ones.

73, Jim K9YC