Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

To: k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs
From: Kevan Nason <knason00@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:45:14 -0400
Jim,

You've convinced me about the need to clean up transmitters. So much so
that I have no intention of using my FT1000MP MkV Field for much more than
casual q's from the work shop and to listen on while working out there in
the shop. I presented your data to our local club last night and it was
well received. Several questions and a lot of thank you's. Questions ranged
from a new Extra and local 2m net control op asking me for links to your
web page, to a non-technical Technician asking if you had any data posted
on a Yaesu FT60 handheld FM rig. Oh well... Some of them got it anyway.

But, you earlier wrote: "Follow my logic. Elecraft, with their K3, have
defined "good amateur practice" with respect to CW."

I would pick another argument to make your case.

Seems to me if you're going to use key phrases like "good amateur
practice", even if that is from the FCC rules, it is more correct to say
the K3 has established a world class standard. There are plenty more rigs
and manufacturers out there that are following "good amateur practice" that
have not yet set their sights on achieving that more lofty goal for
transmitted phase noise performance. To prove my point, the ARRL data you
quote covers quite a range of popular well accepted rigs accepted by the
Ham community. In other words, what is thought of as "good amateur
practice". You've a losing argument trying to claim anything less than
the K3 is the minimum for good amateur practice -- and I'd like you to win.

Although I'm sure you and others would disagree, a similar argument could
be made concerning "All spurious emissions from a station transmitter must
be reduced to the greatest extent practicable." It is virtually
impossible to adjudicate "practicable". Been there and tried that dozens
and dozens of times over the years. Especially hard because so many rigs
that have been sold legally for years would seem to have established an
accepted norm and it simply isn't "practicable" for hundreds of thousands
of hams to replace their investment.

This debate seems to be getting a lot of attention and I hope it pushes
manufacturers and organizations with leadership roles in the ham
community to change their direction as has happened with receiver
specifications and published antenna gain figures.

I'm not a technical guy so not much use in finding a new argument. Sorry.
But I think you need one.

I'm using a TS590 now. I didn't pay much attention to the transmitter phase
noise before purchasing. Just got lucky.

Kevan
N4XL