Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Madness

To: k4zw@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Madness
From: Rudy Bakalov via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 18:34:03 -0400
This is statement is flat out wrong and misleading, creating the impression
that the answer is in the data. This is just wrong and people should stop
making such irresponsible statements.

First, the data for the most common proposal- allow US stations to work other
US stations- is simply unavailable in the public logs. Current rules give
disincentives to work other US stations and the logs do not answer the question
what will happen to current scores if US contacts count 1 point.

Second, the current logs do not provide an answer to the question what happens
when the rules provide incentives for additional multipliers and points.  If we
get extra mults for US states contesters WILL change their behavior to reflect
the new incentives.  On the other hand, saying that nothing will change is a
pure speculation, contrary to normal human response to specific incentives.

Finally, recalculating public logs without having access to the scoring
software is quite the task that discourages most to undertake it.  So please
don't propose "go rescore" without publishing the scoring software.

To be clear, I don't suspect any ill intent from those who suggest a rescore.
It's just that given the facts such statements are irresponsible and don't
contribute to the debate.

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.