Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 23:50:43 -0700
On Sat,8/20/2016 3:37 PM, Timothy Holmes wrote:
I am wondering how to properly get a run going.  I have tried sitting on a
frequency and calling CQ.  Never got more than 1 contact. So what should I
be doing

That's pretty much what you have to do, but success depends on lots of things, like the strength of your signal relative to others and to other folks noise level, band conditions, and QRM.

The best panadapters can help find a clear frequency if they show enough detail and a long enough time in the waterfall (at least two minutes). On the higher bands, there will always be stations you can't hear because you're within the skip zone, so you need to study the waterfall for a while to see stations working them.

For example, I did a lot of running today, but rarely kept it going for very long because QRM from my skip zone on 20/15, or at the other end on 40/80 would kill it, and I'd have to QSY. I've got a pretty good antenna farm, but a ridge hurts me on 20/15. The better your antenna farm, the easier it is to run.

73, Jim K9YC