[CQ-Contest] Contesting from HOA neighborhoods -- Pro and Con on the Ama

To: CQ Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from HOA neighborhoods -- Pro and Con on the Amateur Radio Parity Act
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 10:07:48 -0700
(If you only operate contests from outside US territories, please ignore)

This was briefly discussed on CQ-Contest last year (see
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2016-09/msg00122.html),
but now there is now new information to consider.

CQ Magazine has just summarized the current controversy over the proposed
Amateur Radio Parity Act (HR-555 / S.1534), providing useful links, here:

http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/2017/08/cq-white-paper-pros-
and-cons-of-amateur.html

At the bottom of the page you will find links to documents in support of
the bill by the ARRL's General Counsel, Chris Imlay, W3KD, and papers
written by prominent attorneys who strongly oppose the bill, one by Fred
Hopengarten, K1VR (author of *Antenna Zoning for the Radio Amateur*), and
the other by Jim Talens, N3JT (retired FCC attorney).

At one time I supported the bill, but now I agree with both K1VR and N3JT
that this act, if signed into law, will do more harm than good. Like me,
you may not live in an HOA neighborhood now, but you may want to move to
one some day.  Passage of this bill could affect all U.S. contesters and
DXers, for decades.

It is very important for contesters and DXers to contact your Senators
soon, to let them know how you feel about HR-555 / S.1534.

73,
Bob, N6TV