Re: [CQ-Contest] Which would yor choose?

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Which would yor choose?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 09:28:52 -0700
On 8/14/2017 8:06 AM, Jukka Klemola wrote:
Huh?
TS590 is in same cost category.

But not in the same quality category. Rigs like the 100D, 847 and 706 that cover HF, VHF, and UHF bands must be cheaply made to sell at the low price that they do. I've observed signals badly splattering on SSB, with the suppressed sideband filled in with IMD and intended sideband extended with IMD. When I called the station and told him he was splattering and suggested that he back off the drive to his power amp, I was told that it was one of these cheap radios running barefoot. W4TV, a retired broadcast engineer, has analyzed some of these rigs and found that their method of ALC causes this problem. CW bandwidth is also bad, as shown in ARRL Lab tests.

TS590 is well suitable even to most demanding multi radio record breaking efforts.

Yes. it is a radio I recommended.

FT847 is behind TS590 in RF performance,

That's the point. Dirty transmitter, poor receiver.

but user interface seems better in FT847.

Perhaps Yaesu has improved that since their radios I owned, including its predecessor, the FT100D. They were poor.

73, Jim K9YC