[CQ-Contest] Pileups and calling freqs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Pileups and calling freqs
From: Bill kollenbaum via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 18:34:56 +0000 (UTC)
After listening to howling pileups all weekend, I have a tip for some of the
less experienced guys.
When 5, 10 or 15 guys are all calling on the same freq, especially with AGC on
it sounds like one tone with QSB.  Unless you have a huge signal you sound like
part of the single tone.  Do yourself a favor and go up or down a bit and call.
 You would not believe how many of the lesser signals I responded to since I
could hear them slightly up or down.  Since QRM is not as big an issue as back
on the mainland I can run with the filters wider and have no problem with guys
calling off freq.
I'm sure many of the big guns have the same issue.
Bill K4XS (KH7B, KH7XS)